Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Transplant Recipient to Meet Bone Marrow Donor

In 1998, Susan Grant received a lifesaving bone marrow transplant. Without that transplant, Susan would not have had the opportunity for a second chance at life.

After being diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia, doctors told Susan a bone marrow transplant was her only hope.

Although several candidates in the U.S. matched Susan on six different testing levels, each of the U.S. candidates refused to take the DNA component matching test, which forced Susan to begin an international search. Fortunately, a donor in England was a perfect match on all seven levels.

Ten years ago Peter Andrews, of Reading, England, offered Susan a second chance at life by donating his bone marrow. Since then, the two have kept in touch through letters and e-mails. For the first time since the transplant, Susan and Andrew will meet in person.

Peter and his wife will fly to Richmond, VA this weekend to attend a "birthday" celebration at a local church to commemorate Susan's transplant 10 years ago.

"Meeting Peter is a dream come true," said Susan. "I've kept a photo of Peter and his family on my mantel for years. When I look at it, I'm reminded that a complete stranger gave me back my life, and I'm grateful beyond words."

No comments: