Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ethan Zohn on His Second Stem Cell Transplant Surgery: 'I'm Scared'

The following article is from EverydayHealth.com:


It hasn’t been a typical bout of cancer for Ethan Zohn. In the almost four months since he was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma for the second time, he has run a marathon and half-marathon, helped raise millions of dollars by spinning, and, oh yeah, dyed his hair pink.

Zohn participated in a Cycle for Survival event in San Francisco on Feb. 4 and is heading back to New York to spin again at an event the very next weekend. Cycle for Survival, a team cycling event, was founded by Jennifer Goodman Linn and her husband Dave after she was diagnosed with sarcoma in 2007. Jennifer died last July, but her legacy lives on through the event, which has raised more than $9 million for Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City and helped fund over 25 clinical trials and research studies.

Participating in Cycle for Survival is important to Zohn, who first became involved with the fundraiser three years ago. “In 2009 I wasn’t able to ride because I had just emerged from my stem cell transplant. So I showed up at the event with a mask and gloves,” says Zohn. “I was that guy, but it was alright.”

This time around, Zohn was able to lace up and ride for two and a half hours. “They are raising money for rare cancers and the money goes to Memorial Sloan-Kettering, all of which is me,” he says. “I have a rare cancer and I’m getting treated at Memorial Sloan Kettering.”

Another huge draw for Zohn is that just about anyone can participate. “I love the concept because it’s not a marathon, it’s not a walkathon, it’s not some crazy event,” he says. “It’s easy and accessible. I mean, who can’t ride a stationary bike, right?”

Prepping for Cancer Surgery
Zohn completed his sixth and final ”smart chemo” treatment (with a chemotherapy drug called Adcetris, which only targets the cancerous cells so has less harsh side effects) and is now preparing himself for his second stem cell transplant. “This has been the easy part,” he said.

Whereas Zohn’s first stem cell transplant used his own body’s stem cells, this time around he’ll use stem cells from one of his brothers. (Zohn still doesn’t know which brother was the match. “They won’t tell me which one, because I might start treating him differently,” he has said.)

While he is normally a talkative and upbeat guy, the subject of his surgery casts a shadow and sense of dread on Zohn's personality. “I’m extremely… I’m scared. I’m nervous. I’m anxious,” he admits. “I’ve done it before. It’s not anything you want to do again. You don’t want to go through that twice.”

Zohn’s Surprise Plans for Valentine’s Day
Before he checks into the hospital, though, Zohn has some very big plans with girlfriend and Everyday Health co-host Jenna Morasca. The couple will have a one-two celebration, first on Valentine’s Day and then on her birthday, Feb 15. “Trust me, one present doesn’t work out. It’s separate presents.”

While his plans for the romantic portion of the day are top secret, Zohn and Morasca will begin their day in an unconventional way. “We’re going to start Valentine’s Day with a nice, wonderful trip to Memorial Sloan Kettering because I have a doctor’s appointment,” he says.

No matter how he celebrates, at least his hair will have a festive look. Last week, Zohn and Morasca both dyed their hair pink. “It was solidarity for World Cancer Day,” he says.

As for his freshly shaved Mohawk, consider it a prophylactic style. “I’m going to lose it within the first five days of the stem cell transplant,” he says. “So I might as well do something with it that I enjoy.”

No comments: